The Chitina Personal Use Dip Net Fishery will open at 12:01 a.m. Thursday morning. The fishery will remain open until 11:59 p.m. Sunday night, June 13. Under the preliminary schedule, the fishery is to remain open through June 22. An update will be published by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) next week on the status of the fishery beginning June 14.
As a reminder, the Copper River Personal Use Dip Net Salmon Fishery Management Plan and the Statewide Personal Use Fishing Regulations state that:
- The annual limit is 25 salmon for the head of household and 10 salmon for each dependent of the permit holder.
- Only one king salmon may be kept as part of the total household annual limit.
- Personal use fishers must possess both their Chitina Personal Use Salmon Fishery Permit and a valid resident sport fishing license when fishing. Steelhead cannot be kept and must be returned to the water unharmed.
- You must record your harvest on the permit immediately.
- The tips of the tail of personal use caught fish must be clipped immediately upon landing a fish.
- Immediately is defined as before concealing the salmon from plain view or transporting the salmon from the fishing site. A fishing site means the location where the fish was removed from the water and became part of the permit holder’s bag limit.
As of June 3, the Miles Lake sonar indicates 16,000 fish per day through the sonar. The culminative total was 93,000 fish, 12,000 fish behind the 2020 numbers. It takes approximately two weeks for fish to travel from the sonar to the fishery. The count for May 27 – the date two weeks prior to the opening – showed 8,000 fish that day.
The current fishing schedule is announced on the Chitina Fishery information line at (907) 822-5224. Please contact an information phone line prior to planning your trip to Chitina to ensure that the fishery will be open when you arrive. If you have any questions regarding the Chitina Subdistrict ersonal Use Salmon Fishery, please contact the ADF&G office in Glennallen at (907) 822-3309.